The Enneagram is much more than a simple personality test …..
It is a comprehensive system representing nine distinct strategies for relating to yourself, others and the world. It is a time-tested holistic approach to emotional, mental and spiritual development.
The Enneagram is both a gateway to your inner wisdom and a source of illumination for those “stubborn patterns” that undermine your ability to access wholeness, true intimacy and fulfilment of your life’s purpose.
The Enneagram is a universal model that describes the nine fundamental personality types of human nature and their complex interrelationships. The Enneagram offers a compassionate and objective framework for us to take a look at ourselves from a place of learning, development and growth. It leaves room for the uniqueness of every individual and helps us to evolve into the best version of ourselves. It reveals the inherent strengths and gifts that each type can bring to the world.
Each personality type represents a worldview that resonates with the way in which people think, feel and act and how they stand in relation to the world, others and themselves. The Enneagram will help you understand what drives your own unconscious behaviour, and will give you greater awareness of your motivations for certain habitual responses. We have the qualities of all nine types in us but one of them affects us more than the others.
When faced with challenges, all sorts of “symptoms” arise – both big and small – that point to the fact that you are unconsciously engaging in some unhealthy habitual patterns. Different types of people respond differently. Here are some symptoms that you might experience:
- You become overly perfectionistic, with a domineering inner critic
- You get angry when others don’t meet your standards
- You negate your own needs
- You feel constant pressure to perform and seek approval
- You believe you are alone and will be abandoned
- You idealize and envy what others have
- You hoard energy, time, space and knowledge
- You detach from feelings; observe rather than participate
- You feel disconnected and separate from others
- You are preoccupied with safety and security
- You greet everything with a doubting mind
- You procrastinate because you fear making wrong choices
- You overindulge in food, alcohol or drugs
- You can’t commit because of an insatiable appetite for new experiences
- You intimidate others by being aggressive, intense and impulsive
- You have trouble staying with your sad feelings and vulnerability
- You have difficulty saying “no” and frequently get resentful about it later
- You feel ambivalent about your own needs and wants
Navigating our human complexities can be a beautiful and challenging dance. No matter how long we’ve been on a path of growth, we often get stuck in unconscious patterns that don’t serve us – or anyone else, for that matter! And when we get triggered in this way, it can negatively impact our relationships, our health and well-being. Discovering how to work with our core personality patterns in a way that lets us express our unique brilliance is at the heart of living a great life.
Through self-discovery the Enneagram is a wonderful gift on the journey towards self development, relationship building and conflict resolution.